My heart is grieved today over the reality of all the injustices that I have committed toward others for the sake of self-preservation. Not only that, but the reality of how much we all go around fighting for our"selves." It is a tragedy that we are so afraid of being hurt that we are willing to hurt others in order to protect ourselves. In addition, many of us take our emotions and treat them as truths rather than measuring them against the One and Only Truth, Jesus.
When we know and realize how much Jesus did for us, that He died for us so we could have freedom, we no longer choose to defend ourselves, but begin to understand, by way of the cross working in our own lives, just how easy it is to treat others unlovingly in order to protect ourselves. Anytime I choose to turn my back on someone or shut them out because they have hurt me I am reminded that Jesus did the opposite. He continued to love us despite the fact that we turned our backs on Him. He remained open and vulnerable and continued to love those who persecuted Him even unto death, and even then, He continued to plead their case before the Lord, "Father, forgive them, for they know not what they do." His love is unending and never self-serving, so why would I think that mine should be any different. If Jesus, the one who never deserved harsh treatment was treated harshly unto death and yet, never once retaliated, why would I think that I should defend myself for little, petty things, rather than continue to compassionately love those who treat me poorly. Yes, I should continue to love no matter how difficult it seems, regardless of how wrongly I might think I've been treated. If I truly want to be like Him, if I want to follow and obey Jesus and be a willing vessel in His hands, I must forgive, I must not retaliate, I must continue to see others through His precious eyes of love as He hung on the cross. He looked at all of us at that moment, and rather than being angry or hurt for the endless amounts of wrongdoing we committed toward Him, He loved us, understandingly and compassionately.
Lord, give us eyes to see others through your eyes. Give us compassion and your love for them. You looked upon me while on the cross and said, "My child, I love you with an everlasting love," and you say the same to every one of us. Lord, you even loved those who hated you. Thank you for your endless mercy and grace. Help me to not look upon myself and feel sorry for myself or throw up a wall of self-preservation out of fear of being hurt, but care for others and love them just as you love me.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment